On Mar 13, 2008, at 3:28 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
I would like to use the CD install menus to only prepare the hard
disk (Partition, Label, Format) without actually installing anything on
the drive.  Can this be done?

There should be a "(W)rite" option on the various pages which let you at least partition the drive without installing the software.

There seems to be no "None" option for
Distributions, and I cannot find the right magic to make the installer
go ahead and prepare the drive w/o resorting to at least a minimal install.

On the other hand, it would be perfectly reasonable to attach a new drive to a working system and run the fdisk and newfs commands by hand from the CLI or sysinstall, if you prefer doing it that way...

--
-Chuck