On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 05:28:22PM -0500, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

I would like to use the CD install menus to only prepare the hard
disk (Partition, Label, Format) without actually installing anything on
the drive.  Can this be done?  There seems to be no "None" option for
Distributions, and I cannot find the right magic to make the installer
go ahead and prepare the drive w/o resorting to at least a minimal install.

Does the "Post install configuration" not give you all the menus you want? It doesn't matter whether you have anything installed or not - you can fdisk, bsdlabel and newfs from the sysinstall interfaces you know and love. And you won't be prompted to install any packages because you're not on a scripted install pathway.

If you have bsdlabel and fdisk files which you are trying to replicate then the live filesystem and native tools may be easier, but if you want to play around with sizes etc. without resorting to a calculator then sysinstall has always done the business for me,

--Alex