For one of my machines (HP C-class Blade, 2 * AMD Opteron, 16GB RAM)
should I go for the i386 or the amd64 Version of FreeBSD 7.0?

amd64 version was created exactly for x86-64 systems so why do you like to use another?

As far as I've seen kernel and system isn't a problem with the amd64
version, but how about ports?

To be specific here's what I'd like to install on this machine:

o) mrtg
o) cacti
o) nfsen
o) named (caching DNS only)
o) ntpd
o) TSM-client (Client for IBM Backup-System running in Linux emulation mode)

Does anybody have experience with any of these applications under the
amd64-Version of FreeBSD? Caveats any?

linux emulation runs fine, named, ntpd, mrtg runs ok too

Thanks in advance for any clue,
-ewald