Ewald Jenisch wrote:
Hi,

For one of my machines (HP C-class Blade, 2 * AMD Opteron, 16GB RAM)
should I go for the i386 or the amd64 Version of FreeBSD 7.0?

As far as I've seen kernel and system isn't a problem with the amd64
version, but how about ports?

To be specific here's what I'd like to install on this machine:

o) mrtg
o) cacti
o) nfsen
o) named (caching DNS only)
o) ntpd
o) TSM-client (Client for IBM Backup-System running in Linux emulation mode)

Does anybody have experience with any of these applications under the
amd64-Version of FreeBSD? Caveats any?

Thanks in advance for any clue,
-ewald
Search for the subject "RAM not recognized". I have two 2 servers with Quad Core Intel-Xeon running FreeBSD-7.0-AMD64 and I had no problem at all. I installed several ports such as Samba, LDAP, Bind, Ntpd, Perl, Ruby, smbldap-tools.

Regards!!!