It depends on a lot of variables.

For example, I have a 64-bit mailserver running uw-imapd.  I have
a 500MB mailbox with around 16,000 e-mail messages in it.  When I
connect with Outlook, it takes about a minute for the server and
client to sync with each other.  Beyond that, it's not even noticable.

However, some of the webmail clients do have a lot of problems
with this large of a mailbox.

With POP3 you start having problems with more than a couple hundred
messages in the inbox.

Ted