On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 07:34:04PM +0000, Pollywog wrote:
> On Monday 17 March 2008 19:17:58 Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > I'm setting up a squid cache (3.0.2) machine FreeBSD 7.0 based and I
> > > wonder if softupdates could help (make it faster ) or not the cache
> > > partition ?
> >
> > i would say it's absolutely needed.
> >
> > anyway - any reason to not use soft updates on every filesystem?
>
> What exactly is a soft update?

It's a bit like a hard update, but it won't hurt your disks as much
if your system crashes... ;-P

On a more serious note, it's a technique for ensuring the integrity of
disks after a system crash or power failure.  Like journalling, they
don't guarantee data won't be lost, but instead that the disks will be
in a consistent state at recovery.

There are many many papers on the subject on the web, if you're
interested.

Dan

--
Daniel Bye