Scott Bennett wrote:
     Now that I've upgraded to X.org 7.3, I'm wishing that I hadn't done it.
     I'm still discovering more and more broken stuff in 7.3 each day.  It's
only partially usable. ...

Did you check the integrity of your libraries? Are you maybe using portupgrade that keeps copies of old libraries in /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg ? Maybe some things are still linked against these, this can lead to a load of trouble.

You can install sysutils/bsdadminscripts and run pkg_libchk to check the integrity of your system.