This is indeed how squirrelmail works, and I've found
it to be incredibly easy to roll squirrelmail out.

sqwebmail is excellent webmail software

Since people will be sending authentication
credentials, you may want to set it up on an
SSL-enabled web host so that they are not sent in the
clear.  Generally, I use dovecot which allows me to
listen on all IPs for imap/ssl connections, and
localhost only for imap non-ssl (for squirrelmail's
benefit), then have squirrelmail installed under an
ssl vhost, so that users can't send their credentials
over the internet in the clear.

Take care, mdh