DAve wrote:
I've looked but found no examples to give me confidence. While I have lots of servers running alias IPs the IPs are all on the same network. I've have been informed by my network admin that we will need to change the IPs of our legacy name servers (we are just dragging them along for a time, new name servers are up and domains are being moved to them).

Currently the IP of ns2 is 208.252.191.2, this needs to change to 65.123.104.25. The network admin is telling me he will have the router for that NOC cage handle both IPs no problems. However I need to continue answering the old IP until clients can get their equipment reconfigured.

This will work fine.

Can I alias 208.252.191.2 once I change the NIC's IP to 65.123.104.25 with a default route of 65.123.104.1?

yes,
What netmask would use for the alias line?

Whatever you currently use for those IPs.

This seems not possible to me, but you can learn something new everyday...

I've been supporting servers for about 10 years and I'm still learning :) Thats why its still fun.

Thanks,

DAve

Vince