On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:47:16AM -0700, Predrag Punosevac wrote:
> Gary Kline wrote:
> >     Not to bore anyone, but my finding may be of interest.
> >     Predrag pointed me at a Brother lpr/printcap setup for Linux--
> >     will wonders never cease?, :-).  The URL is
> >
> >     http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/index.html
> >
> >     and had configurations (binaries, not plaintext) for Redhat
> >     andDebian.  I managed to install, and thus unpack, the *deb
> >     (is that cpio?) on my Ubuntu desktop.
> >
> >     Very late last night it occurred to me that the reason no
> >     /dev/lpt0 was that my parallel cable isn't plugged into my new
> >     printer.  The test pages work via the cat5 <-> switch; this
> >     HTML helped me configure the 5250.  When I another geek over
> >     here to plug things together, I'll be able to test the
> >     /etc/printcap.   Here it is, as auto-installed by dpkg -i::
> >
> >HL5250DN:\
> >        :mx=0:\
> >        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/HL5250DN:\
> >        :sh:\
> >        :lp=/dev/usb/lp0:\
> >        :if=/usr/local/Brother/lpd/filterHL5250DN:
> >
> >     Most of this will port to FreeBSD easily. The Brother directory
> >     is full of two subdirs each with a number of files.  The input
> >     filter, "filterHL5250DN" and other /bin/sh scripts in lpd/
> >     will take some porting.   Soooooooo: is printcap the best way to
> >     go?  What about IPP?
> IPP is internet printing protocol spoken by CUPS spooling system. Your
> printer speaks both IPP and LPR native
> printing protocol spoken by LPD. I honestly would not bother much with
> all that nonsense from Brother web-site.

        The HTML was local.  Unless http://10.47.0.116/printing/main.html
        was a copy of their homepage, or part of.  May-be; I didn't watch
        my router.

> Since you have Ubuntu and FreeBSD machine to make things as simple as
> possible attach printer directly to the network (that is why you have DN
> extension in the name of your printer) and make it printer server.

        That's just why I wanted this printer.  And when I buy a newer
        ThinkPad, that'll make three desktops.

> Ubuntu comes with CUPS which speaks IPP and adding printing should be
> matter of selecting it in the Gnome printer
> manager.

        I tried to get CUPS working back in '05 when I first tried
        Ubuntu.   After several hours of breaking concrete with my head,
        I found an old lpr for Debian and it worked [ with my lpr/lpd
        deskjet here].  Whoever have CUPS working must either (a) have
        sold their soul to the Devil or (b) been personslly blessed by
        Zeus.   I have it here somewhere under KDE (andor Gnome);
        over my head!

> You could edit printcap file for remote printer on your FreeBSD box.
> Look the FreeBSD Handbook
> section 9.4.3.
>
> If you want to have identical set up on FreeBSD machine as on the Ubuntu
> machine add the CUPS.
> Do not forget to hide native LPD commands (example mv /usr/bin/lp
> /usr/bin/lp.bak)

        Hmmmmmmm.  and hmmmmm. First time I ever heard that tip.

> You need to edit file /usr/local/etc/cups/client.conf on FreeBSD to
> enable client printing.
> Start CUPS daemon and
> then go to http://localhost:631 and add the printer. You can find PPD
> file for the printer on
> http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi
>
> Just follow the documentation for CUPS client setup
> http://www.cups.org/doc-1.1/sam.html

        You know, I'm about to publish a how-to with many examples on "how
        to play|copy|mod" you CD's/DVD's/<whatever>"  for **FreeBSD**.
        Most things just-work on linux; that's perfectly fine IMHO.
        I've stuck with the BSD's for 13 years because of the stability.
        Am thinking that perhaps if we had more "toys"[*]  we would gain
        users.

        I'll try afsprint (as per suggestion by David Kelly, up-queue),
        then __shudder__ CUPS.  Maybe be able to cobble together a howto
        for things-printer.

        enjoy!

        gary

> Cheers,
> Predrag

[*] not meant in a pejorative sense.  but having spent most of my career
    in the supercomputer world, games, music, videos, graphics, &c were
    toys.  flames to /dev/null, guys.