On Mar 20, 2008, at 4:30 PM, Martin McCormick wrote:
        I reboot. Soon, I find that bind isn't running. It runs
as a low-priority process and is owned by bind so it needs to
have write permission in /var/named. When I do ls -ld on
/var/named, it's owned by root.

/var/named is owned by root on all of my newer (5.x and later) systems; I found an old 4.11 box with it owned by bind, though. If you're using named chroot'ed (as recommended), it will want /var/named/ var/{dump/log/run/stats} writable by bind.

--
-Chuck