At 11:14 AM 3/21/2008, Luca Presotto wrote:

>You should run startx and redirect the output to a file and check the
>errors and then try to fix them.  To do this try:

>startx >/tmp/somexerrorlogfile 2>&1

Done that!
Here-s the first error(s):

DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
Warning: kbuildsycoca is unable to register with DCOP.
kbuildsycoca running...
DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
kbuildsycoca running...
DCOP Cleaning up dead connections.
Reusing existing ksycoca

Is it something wrong in /etc/hosts??

It could be your /etc/hosts or /etc/hosts.allow or you may need to add:
 -listen_tcp

to your startx commandline.

Then I get lots of line(130!) like :

kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/local/share/applications/kde/ark.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-tbz2' kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/local/share/applications/kde/ark.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/zip' kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/local/share/applications/kde/ark.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-7z' kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/local/share/applications/themus-theme-applier.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-gnome-theme-installed'

These messages are errors telling you the window manager cannot manage these mimetypes. Did you remove any ports for handling these types of archive files?

Then finally:

DCOP Cleaning up dead connections.
Launched ok, pid = 1283
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 1222, errno = 0
There are already artsd objects registered, looking if they are active...

Error: Can't add object reference (probably artsd is already running).
       If you are sure it is not already running, remove the relevant files:

       /tmp/ksocket-Luca/Arts_SoundServerV2
       /tmp/ksocket-Luca/Arts_SoundServer
       /tmp/ksocket-Luca/Arts_SimpleSoundServer
       /tmp/ksocket-Luca/Arts_PlayObjectFactory
       /tmp/ksocket-Luca/Arts_AudioManager

This error refers to the artsd daemon already running, or the system thinks this daemon is running. You should open a terminal window and do:
ps -ax|grep -i art

and see if the artsd daemon is running or not. If it is not, you may need to force it to start.

Then, every time I launch a program that open a new window I get:

X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
  Major opcode:  19
  Minor opcode:  0
  Resource id:  0x600006

When you say "every time you launch a program" how exactly are you trying to launch a program?

The error is complaining about passing a bad parameter, so if you are launching the program just through your window manager, you must have a bad configuration file.

        -Derek

believed to be clean.