Frank Solensky wrote:
I'm attempting to add FreeBSD 7.0 onto a free disk partition on my Sony
Vaio (VGN-FZ340E; Intel Core 2 Duo processor; 3 GB memory) and am
running into a "Fatal Trap 19" while running the installation disks.
Here's the last screenful of messages:

  NMI ISA b0, EISA FF
  RAM parity error, likely hardware failure

  fatal trap 19: non-maskable interrupt trap while in kernel mode
  instruction pointer     = 0xNMI ISA b0, EISA ff
  RAM parity error, likely hardware failure

  fatal trap 19: non-maskable interrupt trap while in kernel mode
  instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xFFFFFFFF802da7cf
  stack pointer           = 0x10:0xFFFFFFFF80a738f0
  frame pointer           = 0x10:0
  code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                          = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 0, gran 1
  processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, IOPL = 0
  current process         = 0 (swapper)
  trap number             = 19
  panic: non-maskable interrupt trap
  cpuid = 0
  uptime = 1s

The above is from the attempt with 7.0 amd64; I've been stopped with
similar errors on disks with 7.0 amd64 bootonly, 7.0 i386, 6.3 amd64 and
6.1 amd64.  I believe the "RAM parity error" is a red herring: I haven't
had any problems running Linux or Vista on this machine and running
Memtest86+ overnight didn't turn up any problems.

http://updraft3.jp.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=i386/107564 appears
to be similar but unresolved.

Trying with ACPI disabled stops at:
  md0: Preloaded image </boot/mfsroot> 4194304 bytes at 0xFFFFFFFF80bc6c08
  Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/md0

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance..

The other OSes may be recovering (with performance penalty) from your RAM errors due to additional code not present in FreeBSD. In my experience this error is not a red herring, it indicates a real problem with your memory.

Kris