Frank Solensky wrote:
On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 19:08 +0100, Kris Kennaway wrote:
Frank Solensky wrote:
..  I believe the "RAM parity error" is a red herring: I haven't
had any problems running Linux or Vista on this machine and running
Memtest86+ overnight didn't turn up any problems.

http://updraft3.jp.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=i386/107564 appears
to be similar but unresolved.
Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance..
The other OSes may be recovering (with performance penalty) from your RAM errors due to additional code not present in FreeBSD. In my experience this error is not a red herring, it indicates a real problem with your memory.

What form of memory testing does the install process use?  Or is there
some way to get more specific info about where the failure is occuring?
It'll be easier for me to work with the manufacturer if I can give them
more info about the failure.

No testing is done by the OS, these errors are being reported to it by the hardware as they occur. Your BIOS may keep a log of ECC errors it detects.

Kris