Hi folks,

(newbee, forgive my ignorance ... trying to gain some insight ... )

I have general compiler questions following on a thread in -current after the import of 3.2.2. One poster suggests icc for p4 target compatibility over gcc32.

I have no specific need (i.e., no particular program to optimize) I'm just curious as to which compiler would be preferable for general performance on 5.0-RELEASE. Can icc buildworld/kernel an ports for 5.0? If it can, would it make a performance difference for a desktop configuration of 5.0 (world, kernel+modules, X, moz, gnome and/or KDE, multimedia playback, OO)?

Thanks

/Paul