Jim Stapleton wrote:
Can anyone give me information on keyboard initialization during
boot-up related to my issues listed below?

In 6.2, my system booted up, and worked fine. [alt][ctrl][f#] would
switch consoles, and I was happy.
In 7.0, the same would not happen. After googling, I found some
multimedia keyboards, like mine, had keys to switch F# to a "special"
key. I hit a few keys that had weird pictures that didn't really
describe what they'd do, and I turned my F# keys, back into F# keys.

Were there any changes between 6.2 and 7.0 that would cause 7.0 to
start up the keyboard in the alternate F# mode?

Note, xev didn't recognize a keypress from any [F#] key when it was in
the alternate mode.

Thanks,
-Jim Stapleton
I have a Microsoft keyboard that places functions like "Save" "Open" "Reply" "Reply All" in the Function row keys F#. There is a Function lock key I have to use in order to use F# keys as F# keys. Annoys the crap out of me because it's no longer a keyboard and just a headache.

Do you have a key on the top right of the keyboard that is labeled like a white F surrounded in a black square? That's my Function lock key, and it displays an LED saying that I can now use my F# keys as F#.

Good luck.