On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 4:19 PM, Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Niels Kobschaetzki wrote:
>  > On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  >> Niels Kobschaetzki wrote:
>  >>  > On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>  >>  >> Niels Kobschaetzki wrote:
>  >>  >>  > Hi!
>  >>  >>  >
>  >>  >>  > I have here severe problems with installing stuff. I tried to
>  >>  >>  > recompile xemacs 21.4 and got a:
>  >>  >>  > /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.6" not found,
> required by
>  >>  >>  > "install-info"
>  >>  >>  > I searched google and it seems that this is from FreeBSD 6 while I
> am
>  >>  >>  > running 7 and I have only libc.so.7 on my system.
>  >>  >>  > I wondered, tried to compile xemacs 21.5 from the sources and ran
> into
>  >>  >>  > some other trouble. I figured that I'll do a a cvsup with FreeBSD
>  >>  >>  > 7.0-stable and do a portupgrade -ra to do an upgrade for all
> packages;
>  >>  >>  > hoping that the trouble wents away and I get some kind of xemacs
> with
>  >>  >>  > mule-support installed. But the portupgrade ran into some problems
>  >>  >>  > because of a stale dependency (ORBit2-2.14.10 -> libIDL-0.8.9_1
>  >>  >>  > (devel/libIDL).
>  >>  >>  > I want to install now this stale dependency and get the same error:
>  >>  >>  > /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.6" not found,
> required by
>  >>  >>  > "install-info"
>  >>  >>  >
>  >>  >>  > Anyone who can help here?
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>  I guess you missed part of the upgrade steps when you updated to 7.0.
>  >>  >>  The step you missed involved a portupgrade -fa (or -faP) to refresh
> all
>  >>  >>  of your ports with 7.0 versions to avoid precisely this problem.  You
>  >>  >>  should do that now to repair your system.
>  >>  >
>  >>  > I never upgraded - I did a direct install of 7.0 from downloaded isos.
>  >>
>  >>  That doesn't explain why you have lots of installed 6.x packages.
>  >
>  > Well, I do not have any idea neither -- I never touched anything
>  > mentioning FreeBSD 6.x
>
>  The FreeBSD 7.0 isos only contain 7.0 packages, so it makes no sense
>  that they installed 6.x packages for you :-)

I guessed so. I installed ports via packages, did a cvsup a few days
ago with Release I think and since then I'm compiling. When I wanted
to reinstall xemacs with --with-mule the trouble began and I have no
idea where 6.x packages come from.
And all that started because xemacs 21.5 can't find libgdbm which is
installed…argh…
At least the system is running but no japanese support in the editor I
plan to run for my writings is a little bit of a problem…

Niels