unmanaged switch will work much better :)

I'd agree with that 100%- do the bandwidth math (not to mention the ease
of setup): gigabit each way compared to a max of 320mb (I could be wrong
on the exact figures, but the gigabit is still faster).

320MB is 2560Mb not 320Mb

160MB/s is above gigabit ethernet speed - half duplex, but when traffic goes mostly one direction - it's not a problem.

Setup a small private network between the machines in question and
everything would be happy.

of course - but just asked as i have a bunch of unused U160 controllers and cables.