Niels Kobschaetzki wrote:
On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 4:48 PM, Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Niels Kobschaetzki wrote:
 > On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 4:19 PM, Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 >> Niels Kobschaetzki wrote:
 >>  > On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 >>  >> Niels Kobschaetzki wrote:
 >>  >>  > On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
 >>  >>  >> Niels Kobschaetzki wrote:
 >>  >>  >>  > Hi!
 >>  >>  >>  >
 >>  >>  >>  > I have here severe problems with installing stuff. I tried to
 >>  >>  >>  > recompile xemacs 21.4 and got a:
 >>  >>  >>  > /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.6" not found,
required by
 >>  >>  >>  > "install-info"
 >>  >>  >>  > I searched google and it seems that this is from FreeBSD 6 while
I am
 >>  >>  >>  > running 7 and I have only libc.so.7 on my system.
 >>  >>  >>  > I wondered, tried to compile xemacs 21.5 from the sources and
ran into
 >>  >>  >>  > some other trouble. I figured that I'll do a a cvsup with FreeBSD
 >>  >>  >>  > 7.0-stable and do a portupgrade -ra to do an upgrade for all
packages;
 >>  >>  >>  > hoping that the trouble wents away and I get some kind of xemacs
with
 >>  >>  >>  > mule-support installed. But the portupgrade ran into some
problems
 >>  >>  >>  > because of a stale dependency (ORBit2-2.14.10 -> libIDL-0.8.9_1
 >>  >>  >>  > (devel/libIDL).
 >>  >>  >>  > I want to install now this stale dependency and get the same
error:
 >>  >>  >>  > /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.6" not found,
required by
 >>  >>  >>  > "install-info"
 >>  >>  >>  >
 >>  >>  >>  > Anyone who can help here?
 >>  >>  >>
 >>  >>  >>  I guess you missed part of the upgrade steps when you updated to
7.0.
 >>  >>  >>  The step you missed involved a portupgrade -fa (or -faP) to
refresh all
 >>  >>  >>  of your ports with 7.0 versions to avoid precisely this problem.
You
 >>  >>  >>  should do that now to repair your system.
 >>  >>  >
 >>  >>  > I never upgraded - I did a direct install of 7.0 from downloaded
isos.
 >>  >>
 >>  >>  That doesn't explain why you have lots of installed 6.x packages.
 >>  >
 >>  > Well, I do not have any idea neither -- I never touched anything
 >>  > mentioning FreeBSD 6.x
 >>
 >>  The FreeBSD 7.0 isos only contain 7.0 packages, so it makes no sense
 >>  that they installed 6.x packages for you :-)
 >
 > I guessed so. I installed ports via packages, did a cvsup a few days
 > ago with Release I think and since then I'm compiling.

 OK, so you in fact did not just do a direct install from the iso and
 nothing else :)  One of those other steps must have gone wrong, e.g. you
 installed packages from the wrong package set.

Seems so, but I do not know when because I never touched anything else
than something with a 7 in it. And xemacs compiled originally just as
an example.
But right now portupgrade -fa is working - I hope that solves the
problems I'm having.
Any way how to find out if xemacs 21.5 is in any of the ports? Because
the unicode-support in 21.4 sucks I heard from one of the core
developers…
And if it's only in current - is there any way to just install that
one package from current or do I have to switch completely?

Niels

There is no such thing as "current" and "stable" for packages, only the same ports packaged for different release branches. Maybe this is how you installed 6.x packages, by accidentally installing via a "packages-stable" directory that was symlinked to "packages-6-stable"?

A version of xemacs 21.5 is in editors/xemacs-devel.

Kris