n j wrote:
I hope someone can help me. I have started to experience
seemingly random crashes causing FreeBSD to shutdown and
power off the machine. The only trace I can find as far as
the reason for the crash is concerned are the following
excerpts from /var/log/messages:

Mar 23 11:52:36 myhostname kernel: <<22>N>NMIMN NIMIMII IISISSSAAA
A  20,22 200E,0,I, S  EIEEASI ISAAS f Aff ff
Mar 23 11:52:36 myhostname kernel: f
Mar 23 11:52:36 myhostname kernel:
Mar 23 11:52:36 myhostname kernel: f<
Mar 23 11:52:36 myhostname kernel: 2<>2>
Mar 23 11:52:36 myhostname kernel: f
Mar 23 11:52:36 myhostname kernel:
Mar 23 11:52:47 myhostname syslogd: exiting on signal 15
Mar 23 13:04:32 myhostname syslogd: kernel boot file is
/boot/kernel/kernel

Small update: I have received some feedback that this seemingly random
junk is related to ipfw
(http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=116458).

However, I have also received information that this junk might not be
completely random and could be, in fact, related to NMI (non-maskable
interrupt) which would suggest hardware error. Any thoughts on this?

Yep, it's definitely a NMI (interleaved from several CPUs at once) which most likely means hardware failure.

Kris