Hey,

> I'm presently using rsync over ssh, but I think dump would be better if it
> will work.  I've been reading the man page, but I'm wondering if anyone is
> doing this successfully and would like to share their cmdline.

Are doing backups to disk?  I find rsync combined with hard links to be
quite efficient and easy to manage/restore.  Checkout Mike Rubel's
article [1] if you haven't seen it already, he explains it well.  I
find Rsnapshot [2] quite useful/easy for small installations.  There is
also Dirvish [3] which might be worth looking at.  Both use the same
concept.

Hope this helps,

Andrew.

[1] http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/