On 04.04.2008, Spil Oss wrote:
> On a Dell D400 notebook (Pentium-M 1.4GHz, Intel 855GM, ICH4M) running
> FreeBSD 7.0 #0

> Closing the lid switches off the display, opening the lid does not
> switch the display back on. Very annoying. The machine is fully
> functional otherwise (accessed via ssh).

> Noticed this first on a vanilla FreeBSD-7.0 #0 install, the optimized
> kernel seems to behave the same.

> In sysctl I noticed after closing and opening the lid
>        hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: NONE
> but I have not checked the status of this sysctl before I closed the lid.

> dmesg output is not of boot -v, but of regular boot

> I wouldn't care if the lid doesn't have acpi features (e.g. suspend on
> lid close), but I'd like the screen to switch off for additional
> battery-life.

> Hope someone can help me!

on Dell 1300B I use module acpi_video
add to loader.conf acpi_video_load="yes"

and configure devd.conf to run script on lid change status: exist in
it's examples.

notify 10 {
        match "system"          "ACPI";
        match "subsystem"       "Lid";
        action                  "/sbin/lidctl $notify";
};

# cat /sbin/lidctl
#!/bin/sh
hive=hw.acpi.video.lcd0.active
sysctl=/sbin/sysctl

case "$1" in
        "1" | "0x01")
                ${sysctl} ${hive}=1 >/dev/null
        ;;
        "0" | "0x00")
                ${sysctl} ${hive}=0 >/dev/null
        ;;
esac

--
With all regards, Victor M. Blood.   mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
FTN: 2:5024/[EMAIL PROTECTED], ICQ#3567656