On Apr 5, 2008, at 3:57 AM, Matthew Seaman wrote:

Joshua Isom wrote:
I've looked back at a lot of the emails about upgrading a system from 6 to 7, but all seem to contain some caveat or other, generally ports. I want a "clean" system, but don't want to deal with backing up, reformatting, and installing, not to mention reconfiguring everything. Since by now many people have done it, what's the best way to upgrade from 6.3 to 7.0 for the entire system, base and ports?

Note that once you have the base OS updated, you can leave it running
with the ports from 6.x for a while -- so long as you've still got the
6.x shlibs available everything will carry on working.  That means you
either have to install the misc/compat6.x port or you have to skip the
'make delete-old-libs' step at the end of the buildworld procedure. (Well,
postpone it until the ports can be rebuilt.)

Don't forget the 'make delete-old-libs' step at the end. You can probably deinstall compat6x similarly although there are some ports that will now
require it -- diablo-j{dk,re}15 for example.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

I decided to go with the plan of listing all leaf ports and all ports(install leaves first and then find out what's missing that I'd want based on everything I had), then deleting all of them and cleaning up some of the leftovers, and reinstalling the base and deleting the old libraries to get a good clean 7.0 system. Only problem is when I started rebuilding stuff, I think libtool found f77 and some of the other 6.3 binaries that weren't deleted and things like gettext didn't want to install. It seems as though either `make delete-old-libs` needs adapted to include deleting binaries, or a separate target for old binaries. I'm currently building up my ports tree, and it seems to be working well now, so all the 6.3 binaries I found and deleted didn't seem to hurt anything, not that they could run as libc.so.6 is gone.