Telnet has a line-by-line mode that's really useful on a slow
connection: you can type in an entire line of text and hit return
instead of having to type one character at a time.

Is there anything similar for ssh?

I tried tunelling port 23 on my machine to port 22 on the remote
machine and then doing "telnet localhost 23", but this seemed kludgey
+ didn't work (as I sort of expected, it just connected me to sshd).

I suppose I could run telnet locally on the remote machine or
something, but is there a cleaner solution?