On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 01:11:59PM -0400, Tsu-Fan Cheng wrote:

> so in a sense, 7.0-release is for developers, and 7.0-stable for end
> users, right?

No.    7.0-release is the final snapshot of 7.0.    Current is
for developers and stable is a more cleaned up version of current.

Current is the bleeding edge.
Stable is sort of like a beta
and release is the final, cleaned up and built and tested release.

The confusing thing is there can be more than one branch being
worked on.   At the moment there is  7.xxx and 8.xxx.   There can
be stable and release for each.    The head is where current is
made which is 8.xxx now.

If something is built in to current that is wanted more immediately,
it gets merged in to the less bleeding edge tracks.   The process for
that is called 'Merge From Current' usually called MFC - as in 'that
feature (or fix) was MFCed this morning'.

////jerry