Sorry for my late reply.
I have been a bit busy...
]
On 7 apr 2008, at 21:21, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

"FreeBSD.Arno" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Hi Lowell, thanks for your response,

On 7 apr 2008, at 16:23, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

"FreeBSD.Arno" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I installed wireshark on my computer and got this error trying to run
it:

/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/lib/libhx509.so.2: Undefined symbol
"oid_id_pkcs1_rsaEncryption"

That library doesn't even exist on my machine that has wireshark
installed from ports.

that's strange... what version do you run?
i have version 0.99.8

I don't run it, I just built it long enough to check for you.

oh, thank you very much for that!

I just did a make config, disabling everything and 'make install clean'

even now:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ldd /usr/local/bin/wireshark | grep libhx509
        libhx509.so.2 => /usr/local/lib/libhx509.so.2 (0x2a69b000)

I used the default configurations:
# This file is auto-generated by 'make config'.
# No user-servicable parts inside!
# Options for wireshark-0.99.8_2
_OPTIONS_READ=wireshark-0.99.8_2
WITHOUT_RTP=true
WITH_SNMP=true
WITH_ADNS=true
WITH_PCRE=true
WITH_IPV6=true

i tried compiling with and without all the settings, so far without any success

I've found some posts of people reporting the same problem, but none
of them mention a solution.

Did anyone solve this problem yet?

uname -a:
FreeBSD <ip> 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #18: Mon Mar 31 17:48:52
CEST 2008     [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KERNEL_7  i386

Figure out where that library comes from, and rebuild it and maybe its
dependencies?

i found there's a bug reported here for subversion, but i don;t have
that installed

i also found heimdal using this it an people reporting he same error
i installed heimdal but the problem remained the same

i'll try to figure out why wireshark needs this lib on one machine and
not on the other...

The key clue is probably in what provides that library.  Which is
Heimdal, so that *should* provide the library.

I did search for heimdal on my system before, but i thought it was a port and not part of the base system
My mistake...
I'm looking into that now and am building kernel and world from the latest sources atm.

I'll post the results when that's done...

Did you install wireshark from a package?  That may have been built
with a different set of options and/or for a different FreeBSD release.

I compiled from sources:
cd /usr/port/net/wireshark/
make install clean

gr