Ewald Jenisch wrote:
Hi,

After installing FreeBSD 7.0 (AMD64-version) on a new machine wanted
to set up a caching DNS.

As per the handbook
(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-dns.html)
I wanted to run "make-localhost" in order to set up the configuration
files. But the script "make-localhost" isn't there:

$ pwd
/etc/namedb
$ ls -l
total 22
drwxr-xr-x  2 bind  wheel    512 Feb 24 10:39 dynamic
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel    512 Mar 17 12:50 master
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  11259 Mar 17 16:01 named.conf
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   2963 Mar 17 16:01 named.root
drwxr-xr-x  2 bind  wheel    512 Feb 24 10:39 slave
$
Not in this directory, nor anywhere else:

# find / -name make-localhost #
First I thought I did something wrong so I set up another machine with
the AMD64-version of 7.0, but alas - same result - again
"make-localhost" isn't there.
Has anybody else seen this behavior? Is the handbook wrong wrt setup
of named on a AMD64-system?

Thanks much in advance for any clue,
-ewald

The handbook is slightly out of date and the 'make-localhost' script
is now history. Instead, the system comes with pre-installed /etc/namedb/master/localhost-forward.db and .../localhost-reverse.db
zone files and the appropriate configuration shown in the example
named.conf file.  Basically, ignore the paragraph in the handbook
that says 'run make-localhost' and nowadays base your named.conf on the
sample configuration supplied with the system rather than the examples shown
in the handbook.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

                                                 Flat 3