I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

When I plug in a compact flash card reader, I can check /var/log/messages
to see what devices it has recently detected.  What I'd like to be able
to do, however, is just enter a simple command at the shell prompt and
get a list of what devices are connected -- preferably with some control
over which devices are listed so I can narrow it down to storage devices
that aren't mounted (even if only via grep).

Phillip J. Haack: "Productivity is not about speed. It's about velocity.
You can be fast, but if you're going in the wrong direction, you're not
helping anyone."