At 02:30 PM 4/10/2008, Shelby Cain wrote:
Greetings list.  I'm a new user to FreeBSD and I just managed to
introduce myself to ldconfig's default behavior.  I'm currently locked
out of my remote server since bash isn't statically compiled and will
have to get physical access to correct my blunder.  :(

As a new user to FreeBSD, ldconfig's default behavior makes about as
much sense to me as rm adding "-fr ~" or kill adding "-9 1" in the
absence of arguments.  I hate to sound ignorant but I have to ask, is
there any particular reason FreeBSD's ldconfig defaults to this
seemingly unintuitive and non-newbie-safe behavior?

Would a patch that changes the behavior of ldconfig to assume -r in the
absence of command line arguments and adds a new parameter like
-e[rase]|-d[estroy]|-w[ipe]|-z[ap]|-l[olnewbie] to enable the original
behavior be likely to gain any acceptance?

Regards,

Shelby Cain

I can't speak about ldconfig but will say that most utilities you run as root have inherent dangers. Many of us that have worked with various flavors of unix have the scars from doing dumb things. I myself made the common mistake of doing rm -rf while in the / directory on a server. Boy it was fun reloading that server ;-)

Do some reading, and check man pages before you execute new utilities.

As for bash, you can compile and install it statically linked from the ports.

        -Derek

believed to be clean.