On Saturday 12 April 2008 04:29:20 pm Warren Block wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Apr 2008, Steven Friedrich wrote:
> > From messages:
> > messages:Apr 12 09:39:55 laptop kernel: ulpt0: <EPSON USB2.0
> > MFP(Hi-Speed), class 0/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2> on uhub4
> > messages:Apr 12 09:39:55 laptop kernel: umass0: <EPSON USB2.0
> > MFP(Hi-Speed), class 0/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2> on uhub4
> > messages:Apr 12 09:39:55 laptop kernel: da0: <EPSON Stylus Storage 1.00>
> > Removable Direct Access SCSI-2 device
> >
> > Why is it getting attached to umass and da?
>
> Most likely the printer has memory card slots that are accessible via
> USB.
>
> > Should I config something to stop this?
>
> Not unless it's causing a problem.
>
> -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA

It does have slots for memory...
I can't get this printer to work, and the cups error_log shows no errors.
I had been reading a HOW-TO on the CUPS site and I set the loglevel to debug,
figuring I'd get a message about a broken pipe due to a missing filter.
No such luck. Far as CUPS is concerned, it's working. But it only feeds sheet
after sheet and occasionally prints garbage.
I've tried CUPS test page and a one sheet doc from KATE.
The gutenprint doc says I should have an Epson backend
in /usr/lib/cups/backend (but I think on freebsd it will be
in /usr/local/libexec/cups/backend).
But it's not there...