On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 02:20:54PM -0700, Steve Franks wrote:
> I've got an 7.0 amd64 system that plugging in any umass device will
> cause it to immediately crash.  You can plug in any ugen, ucom, or ums
> with no ill effects and they work fine.  Modern man cannot live
> without the usb flash device.  Anyone have any ideas?

Can you supply some more information? It's impossible to tell what is
wrong from the information you supply.

E.g, do you use the GENERIC kernel, or did you build your own. If so,
what does your kernel config look like?

Can you show dmesg output from when a umass device is plugged in?

If you get a kernel panic, what does it say?

Is there anything in the logfiles?

> I have 7.0-rc1
> i386 on a laptop that also behaves mysteriously with umass devices
> (although it just takes 5 minutes to mount and then has gibberish, not
> a crash) - am I just special?  I haven't heard anything about this on
> the list.

I've been using umass devices from 5.4 onwards on amd64 and i386 without
problems.

Roland