Edward Ruggeri wrote:
On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 9:29 AM, Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Edward Ruggeri wrote:
Recently, I figured to do this with portupgrade.  Now, I don't allow
root login, so I log in as a user in the wheel group and use su.  Now,
as root, I run: dtach -A portupgrade -a.  It starts working, but
extremely slowly.  For instance, "portsnap fetch update" takes several
minutes, whereas it normally is blazing fast when performed locally.
I can still detach, exit root, and close the SSH tunnel.  I suppose
this is probably a dtach performance issue?

 Likely unrelated to either.  There is nothing that would make root perform
any differently than other users, and dtach only affects the terminal
handling and not any other aspect of the system.

 Kris

Thanks Kris!

Well, that's what I would have expected.  But then what explains the
difference in performance?  The only other difference I can imagine is
that I am logging in with a wheel account and using su, rather than
logging in as root.  Being something of a novice still, could that be
the issue?

No. Unless dtach is doing something bizarre I cannot think of a reason this would be happening.

Kris