On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 10:11 +0300, Manolis Kiagias wrote:

> Da Rock wrote:
> > Hey, hey... I made a boo boo and ordered a unit with this nic onboard
> > (truthfully, I never thought I'd have any trouble since I had done this
> > before). Loaded 7 and couldn't find the nic. A little investigation
> > found that the nic was the above, and a little further found that there
> > was no support for it in the hcl's.
> >
> > Now I do find it hard to believe there is no way around this- I found a
> > driver for FBSD4.5-6, is there one for 6.2 or higher? Or will this one
> > work? Anyone know how to install it?
> >
> > The driver is only a c and a h file- Makefile is an empty file, and the
> > readme tells me to rebuild the kernel after removing rl and re in the
> > conf. Then I build the driver, and kldload it. Any idea why I'd have to
> > rebuild the kernel?
> >
> > Cheers guys
> >

> I've seen this driver too (I've investigated for a friend who bought a
> similar motherboard that otherwise works with 7). The readme describes
> two "methods" of installation but the first one simply does not apply
> (there is no modules directory in the download). I have not tried the
> second method (looks reasonable though). Removing the rl and re from the
> kernel will remove the built-in support (it could conflict with the new
> driver) and create a module for the new driver. Note that you are also
> asked to replace the files in the FreeBSD src directories.  In fact it
> is better to build as a module - building it into the kernel may well
> leave you with an unbootable kernel if it is not compatible.
>
> As I said, I have not done this (my friend will be running Linux on this
> box) but as more and more recent mobos seem to use this NIC - and I may
> be buying one- if you are willing to give it a try, I will be interested
> in the results.

Well I just tried it- I put this out there for some feedback mainly- the
kernel rebuild is to remove the old rl and re drivers completely, and
the build for the driver is for a module.

Unfortunately the result is a failure: compatibility issues or some sort
(argument warnings, not enough args, invalid variables and functions).
My question is will I find something to work for 7? If not, will it work
on 6.2 or 6.3 (it only says 6 in the readme's)?