On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 09:58:29PM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>> FreeBSD, like all open source systems (that I know of), publishes a
>> hardware compatibility list [1] that you can consult to see if the
>> hardware you intend to purchase is supported.  In general, most major
>> manufacturers' systems will work fine, although the newest systems can
>> sometimes be problematic.
>
> most desktop/servers. not laptops. all lenovo/ibm works fine but this is
> exception. most laptops can run only windoze.

I've got a secondhand Dell Latitude C610 that runs FreeBSD perfectly.
Before that I had a Compaq Armada M700 that also worked perfectly.

If you can get a good look at the specs, especially at the chipset used,
you can normally get a pretty good idea if it will run FreeBSD.

Better yet, if you are thinking of buying a laptop, go to the store with
a FreeBSD boot CD and test. If they don't let you do that, take your
business somewhere else.

Roland