quoth the Colin Brace:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a FreeBSD v7 box set up as gateway/mailserver/WAP. I leave my WAP
> unencrypted, so my neighbors can use it, and use PF to allow just a few
> specific services (dhcp dns, http, https).
>
> I'd like to be able to mount a couple of NFS shares from a desktop box
> running Fedora on a wireless client. I've opened  the sunrpc and nfs ports
> in PF, but that doesn't seem to be enough. tcpdump indicates some high upd
> ports in the 40k-50k range are used in the nfs negotiation, but I can't
> figure out exactly what is going on. Does anyone know what additional ports
> need to be opened for nfs? Will I need to use PF to redirect this udf
> traffic to the fedora host or will it find the nfs server on its own?

'rpcinfo -p <server>' will show the ports/proto you need open. However, it
should change some each time because rpc.mountd, rpc.statd, and lockd assign
ports dynamically. You can set a few NFS options to lock these down:

Eg:
RPCMOUNTDOPTS="-p 4002"
RPCSTATDOPTS="-p 4000"

Sadly, I have only ever run an NFS server on Linux, so I do not know if there
is a config to set these, or if you have to add the '-p n' to the startup
scripts directly.

Also, On Linux you must set the lockd port at boot time. Perhaps there is a
sysctl for this on FreeBSD?

HTH
-d