connecting to usb0 / usb1 both of which are usb revision 1.0. All the
information I have says this printer is usb 2.0. Why is it not

usb 2.0 doesn't mean USB high speed (480Mbps) but is common mistaken.
it's about protocol not speed.

attaching to ehci0/uhub2/usb2?

echo "something" > /dev/ulpt0 results in silence. So does printing a
test page from the cups web interface. It's a black hole.

Can anybody tell me what's wrong? Would removing ohci/uhci from the
kernel force it to connect to the usb 2.0 side of things?

it's not a problem here.