On Sat, 26 Apr 2008, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:

On Apr 21, 2008, at 12:53 PM, Chris Maness wrote:

I think that pine is corrupting my inbox, so that it is unreadable by UW-IMAPD. When using squirrelmail after using pine I see the headers, but squirrelmail is unable to open the e-mails.

When you read your mail with (al)pine with it picking up mail directly from /var/spool/mail, (al)pine will move the mail from /var/spool/mail into mailbox folders in your home directory.

Now normally, this puts the mail in a place where it can still be picked up by uw-imap server. Indeed, under default configurations the uw-imap server will perform pretty much the same action when it gets new mail out of /var/spool/mail. So when everything is working right, even reading the mail locally with pine shouldn't mess things up as they have for you.

I switched over to alpine since I do understand that pine is no longer supported. If other people have experienced this it would be nice to have at least a notice when it is installed. I have used pine for almost 10 years without this problem, but maybe this is an incompatability with a newer version of UW-IMAPD.

Here is what I would do to start diagnosing my first guess at the problem:

(1) Set up (or use) a clean vanilla user account, say fred.
(2) Send fred mail.
(3) log in as fred and have fred read mail with pine, with as close to a default configuration as possible.
(4) See if fred can see his mail via squirrelmail.  If so
(5) Look around ~/fred to find where pine put the mail.
(6) Compare the mail file locations for ~/fred and for you.
(7) If there are difference (which is what I'm expecting), then look through your .pinerc

Post back a report about how those steps go. If things break at step 4, then still do step (5) and report that back here.

Good luck.

Cheers,

-j

I'll check it out. Alpine is doing the same thing. It worlks fine for a bit, an then no imap clients can access the mail. Only alpine can read the spool. I am not having any problems whith other users, I will have to try to test the spool with a fresh user like you suggested. I might use aliases to send mail to this account as well.

Chris Maness
(909) 223-9179