Brian Henning wrote:
Hello-
I would like to backup my cvs repository in case my system goes down or incase i
want to move the repository. can i tar up the files in the root directory and
save it on a cd?
Yes, I do this all the time.  You can treat your CVS repository just like any other
tree of files for backup purposes.

I would also like to back up my mysql databases for the same reasons. can i tar
those up for later use?
You can, but you should make sure that the MySQL server is shut down during backup
or your database files could be in the middle of an update while you're backing up.

Look in the MySQL docs for alternate methods (such as mysqldump) that don't have
you backing up data while it's in use.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies