On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 02:40:09PM +1000, Hartleigh Burton wrote:

> Hiya!
>
> I have a problem with / currently being at 108% capacity. I have found
> a previous thread in the archives which explains a few questions but I
> can't find what is taking up all the additional space. At best without
> destroying what I still do not understand I can manage to get / to
> about 101% capacity.
oI see you have used du.   I usually do
                                         cd /
                                         du -sk *

Since the 'h switches between K, G, M,  I find it a little harder
to eyeball than picking just one of K, M or G.    I also find the -s
more useful in a general situation than -dn since it gives a
good general summary.

The one thing I can think of would be some file that has been rm-ed
but not released by some process.   The space will still stay allocated
until the file is released by all processes.   A reboot can help that.

If reboot doesn't free anything up, then you have some serious digging
to do.    Your / file system is quite large and you have most of the
usually culprits moved somewhere else.   So, you should not need
anywhere near that much disk for /.

Good luck,

////jerry