Even if running X under root, it's the same behaviour. Unless devd is
restarted, there is no sound or xdialogs. If I restart devd from
another console, then the sound device becomes available and sound can

do you restart devd from xterm? if so - DISPLAY gets set

be heard, but no Xdialogs. If devd is restarted from within X, then
both sound and Xdialogs are ok. This is with any window manager, and
nothing much else is running here to screw things up.

The script is definitely being run on the keypress each time. There's
obviously something I'm missing about devd here.

ln -s /home/<user>/.Xuathority to /root/.Xauthority

and of course add

DISPLAY=:0 before Xdialog