At 02:09 AM 4/30/2008, Roberto Nunnari wrote:
Hi!

Anybody on this, pleeeease? :)

Am I missing something basilar, or it's a FreeBSD bug?
Incomplete support for the ICH9R?

I cannot attach the boot log, because the boot process
panics just before mounting the disks and nothing is
logged on /var/log/

Anyways, booting in verbose mode shows that the last
activities before it panics are on the disks and fakeraid..
it finds one of the disks and then the last output before
the panic is about the Intel MatrixRAID.

Any thoughts on this, please?

Best regards
Robi

Roberto Nunnari wrote:
Hi all!
I'm playing with new HW and FreeBSD 6.3 and 7.0.
I set up raid 1 on two sata disks (fakeraid on ICH9R)
and as long as I can see, it seams to work very well.
Now I'm trying to simulate 1 disk failure (I just take
out a disk and boot again). Doesn't matter which of the
two disks I take out, the bios correctly shows the raid
as degraded and bootable, loads the FreeBSD loader, who
loads the kernel and starts the boot.
But when the kernel comes to the drives (or the swap?)
it fatal traps 12. The trap descriptions sais that
current process is 0 (swapper).
Reading that I commented out the swap partition from fstab,
but that doesn't help.
How can I get the system to finish the boot?
Thank you and best regards.

I believe these are software RAID and the support for the failover is in the system BIOS. If a drive fails, you need to replace the failed drive and rebuild the array. If you want hot swapable drives in an array, you will need to use a different RAID card that supports that feature.

        -Derek

believed to be clean.