On Thursday 01 May 2008 01:58:46 A Hamilton-Wright wrote:

After "shutdown -r now" and the subsequent reboot, I have
  (... no dmesg)

On Thu, 1 May 2008, Mel wrote:

dmesg -M doesn't show anything either?

Wish I'd thought to try that last night.  I eventually shut it
down again (shutdown -p) until I could come in this morning and
take a look at the console while booting -- and now everything
is fine.  I have now tried a few reboots (shutdown -r) and halts
(shutdown -h), and I have a dmesg every time it recovers.

I will certainly keep an eye on this and see if I can reproduce
this in any fashion.  If anyone else sees this phenomena (even
transiently), I would love to know about it.

Andrew.