On May 1, 2008, at 13:34 , Mel wrote:

On Thursday 01 May 2008 13:17:03 Anselm Strauss wrote:

The reasons why I hesitate to upgrade to 7.0-STABLE are:

- freebsd-update won't work anymore. How do I then get informed about
security updates?

Using your favorite RSS reader and subscribe to:
http://www.freebsd.org/security/advisories.rdf

Ok, I already subscribed to the freebsd-security-notifications list, I assume that should do the same.

- Can't install distributions with sysinstall anymore. Do I just
compile everything from source?

Yes (to distributions, no to ports), but you have to upgrade by source
to -STABLE to begin with, unless you want to go the hard way and bake a new
CD/DVD.

Since compiling is no problem for me, I think I will stick with the source, since you also can install parts of the source, e.g. install the manual pages afterwards.

- How do I actually update from release to stable? I have to compile
everything myself from the sources, right? As well as for any update?

The handbook has an entire section for this:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-edge.html

Yes, I saw that once, but forgot it again. Worked perfectly for me.

--
Mel

   and never get to the software part.

Thanks,