Hi Chris,

Chris Pratt pisze:

Thank you anyway - this was very helpful and I instantly saved a lot of space on a shrinking /var partition!

I find it most comfortable to do this manually so I can check
my backups first. There is an example in the reply comments
below the documentation on the 5.0 version of the mysql
doc page that shows a "unix" way to set up a cron script
and automate the process. I've not tried it.

Shrinking /var partition?: I found the ports setup of mysql to
be overly restrictive by using the /var method. It was simple
to install, shutdown mysqld, copy the contents of the /var
database files (preserving the appropriate ownership and
permissions). I then added (assuming /usr is your large
partition)

mysql_dbdir="/usr/mysql"
mysql_datadir="/usr/mysql"

to /etc/rc.conf and restarted. It is an outage but it helped given
I'd never have thought to size /var anywhere near what a
medium size database required.

Yeah, I am in the same boat so to say... I guess copying mysql data using cp -p will preserve all the file attributes?

Will any future upgrade (by means of portupgrade) not change the custom mysql location back to /var/db/mysql?

Thanks again Chris!

--
Zbigniew Szalbot
www.lc-words.com