On Friday 02 May 2008 13:28:44 Free BSD wrote:
> We've been having some problems with our server and I was wondering if
> someone had any advice or suggestions for our current system settings.

Would help to know, at minimum:
- ammount of ram
- ammount of cpu's
- platform (uname -m )
- pciconf -lv|grep ^none
- dmesg output that complains about hardware
- what's different about your kernel with respect to GENERIC

What the problems are:
- from the sysctl variables, I'm guessing you want more network performance
- you mention core dumps, does the kernel crash?

Some background:
- what's the primary purpose of the machine
- why are things like ipc tuned?

> kern.maxfilesperproc=65536

The above will only work with programs that use open(2) exclusively and not
fopen, because fopen is limited to SHRT_MAX, being 32767.

--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.