I use FreeBSD in the `desktop' setting, I do a lot of TeX, programming, and

in my view there is no "desktop" setting or "server" setting. the only difference is if your display and keyboard are directly connected or not.

you simply install programs you need.

scientific computing.
In my own views, I segregate applications in three groups:
-- the zombie group, consisting of applications I rarely use, and do not care to keep up to date (almost everything); -- the living group, consisting of applications I use often but moderately care to keep up to date (Emacs and seamonkey); -- the hot group, consisting of applications I am very interested in (e.g. some libraries I use in my programs).

doing similar way. with old rule - if it works, don't touch.