Wojciech Puchar wrote:
but just run 100 different things and check how responsive machine is.

My experience is of dealing with servers where each machine typically has
a small number of important applications -- frequently only /one/ application

so why you need unix at all? :)

At the risk of belabouring the obvious:

  i) I like the price.  Free.

 ii) I like the operating environment -- CLIs aren't to everyone's taste,
     but I find they give me the freedom to do what I want without having
     to jump through a whole lot of hoops.

iii) I like the efficiency of the OS -- you get that much more performance
out of every machine it's like having additional servers for free.
try as simple and stupid thing under load

cat /dev/zero >somefile (on big partition)

on 6.* and 7.* and compare both cases.

:)

I thought you were pillorying synthetic benchmarks upthread?  Filling up
a partition with a file of zeros is pretty unlikely as a real-world task.

I wouldn't be too disappointed if that didn't run as fast as it possibly
could, although I would be distinctly peeved if doing that on a loaded
server took up more of the system resources than it had any right or
justification to do, to the detriment of anything else running on that
machine.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

                                                 Flat 3