Nishita Desai wrote:
Hello,

I just installed Xfce4.4 on FreeBSD 7.0. I have been trying to get it
to directly give me a graphical login. The Xfce manual says this can
be done using gdm. According to it, I need to copy the example file
"xfce44.desktop" into /usr/X11R6/share/xsessions. The example file is
supposed to be located in /usr/local/share/examples (since Xfce is
installed in /usr/local.) But there is no such file.

1. Is there any other location this file could be? (`locate` cannot find it.)
2. Can I download it from somewhere? Googling did not give anything.
3. Will anyone be kind enough to send me a copy by email?

It is strange why the file's not there. Xfce was installed using
pkg_add (the port was giving some error in compilation which I could
not solve) and is working nicely without any obvious problems.

Thanks,
Nishita.

This is the quick way to add XFCE to your "sessions" menu in GDM:

First of all, make sure you have

gdm_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf (I assume you already have this)

Now, create a file in:

/usr/local/etc/dm/Sessions

Name it something like xfce44.desktop and type the following into it (adjust as needed):

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=XFCE4
Comment=This session logs you into XFCE4
Exec=/usr/local/bin/startxfce4
TryExec=/usr/local/bin/startxfce4
Icon=
Type=Application

Reboot, and when the GDM login screen appears, you will be able to select XFCE4 from the Sessions menu.

Hope this helps,
Manolis