meant to prevent things like brute-force attacks on root over the
network.  It's a bad idea to change that behavior, in general.  Back when

just another stupid myth.

As is, of course, all security in depth.  Hey, if you want everything
riding on one password, more power to you, but you might want to refrain
from using phrases like "stupid myth" unless you've got some hard data
to back them up.
did below.

simply use good passwords.

Or a nice little key encrypted with a good pass phrase.
i use ssh with id_dsa/authorized keys regularly, and rlogin&.rhosts within the range of private/vpn/other way secure network

having to log through 2 accounts doesn't increase security. actually
increases mess.

The only mess I can think of is all that logging that forces a bit of
accountability onto all the admins who know the root password.  Of
course, if you're the only admin, I suppose it doesn't really matter.

2 admins for one server is never good idea :)