On Tue, 13 May 2008 at 13:33 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] confabulated:

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 07:22:17PM +0000, D Hill wrote:
On Tue, 13 May 2008 at 13:12 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] confabulated:

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 06:31:53PM +0000, D Hill wrote:

Is there anything in the ports tree I can use to convert AVI and/or MPEG
videos into individual frames as jpg or a different still graphic format?

MPlayer should be able to do that.  By the way, AVI is a container
format, not a codec, and most AVIs use MPEG (in my experience) for video
codec.

Thanks for the info. I had not realized MPlayer does that. Josh Tolbert
also made the same suggestion. I shall pursue figuring out how it's done.

There are at least two frame capture options for MPlayer that can be
activated during playback -- I've gotten "screenshots" from video in the
past in this manner, using the option that grabs many frame captures over
a short period of time so that I could pick from among several to get the
best image.  There may be other ways to do the same, or something
similar.

If I remember correctly, using the -vf option when you start MPlayer
allows you to grab screenshots with the s (for single) or S (for constant
frame capture) keyboard commands while it's running.  I don't know what
the GMPlayer interface offers for the same functionality -- never use the
thing.

Thanks for the tip. I did some Google searching and am actually doing it right from a terminal now:

  For the entire AVI:
  mplayer -vo jpeg -nosound my_avi.avi

  Starting from a specific spot:
  mplayer -vo jpeg -ss 00:15:00 -nosound my_avi.avi

  Starting from a specific spot for a number of frames:
  mplayer -frames 150 -vo jpeg -ss 00:15:00 -nosound my_avi.avi